Please bear with us as we are in the process of updating our website!
Who we are
Board of Directors
Chairperson: Eileen Jackson
Founder and Strategic Lead: Majella McAllister
Operations: Seamus Lynam
Regulation & Governance: Ann Crowley
Education Lead: Emma O’Toole
History Leads: Dr Richard McElligott & Dr Sarah Anne Buckley
Children’s Rights Lead: Dr Fiona Donson
Fundraising: Kate T. Lawlor
The Museum of Childhood Ireland promotes the widest understanding of our distinctive culture, history, stories and place in the world, from the perspective of childhood and growing up on the island of Ireland, and amongst its diaspora.
The Mission of the Museum is
- to present and tell the story of childhood in Ireland throughout the ages through a collection of objects and stories;
- to provide dynamic learning experiences, interactive exhibitions, cultural and educational events, and discussion fora, with local national and international access;
- to challenge assumptions on childhood, foster debate, and facilitate the exchanging of opinions, experiences, ideas and knowledge through research, collections and activities.
The Museum of Childhood Ireland project aims to establish a museum that will promote the widest understanding of our distinctive culture, history, stories and place in the world, from the perspective of childhood and growing up on the island of Ireland, and amongst the diaspora.
As the foremost institution of its kind in Ireland, we aim:
- to collect, preserve, promote and exhibit Ireland’s portable material heritage and history from a childhood perspective
- to interpret, promote, form, and borrow collections and to make them accessible to audiences at home and abroad
- to be an authoritative voice on Irish childhood heritage, culture and history; past to present
- to showcase research on the themes of childhood by our team of historians
- to showcase research on Children’s Rights in an Irish and international context by our dedicated Rights team
- to be a leader in education, research, scholarship and to collaborate and build academic partnerships , in regard to childhood history on the island of Ireland and abroad.
Do look out for our ongoing exhibitions and displays. The first of our exhibitions in the series on Children in War, Dr Korczak, Champion of the Child, travelled around Ireland during summer 2018, visiting Lexicon Dún Laoghaire (April), Galway City Library (May), Derry Central Library (June), Belfast Central Library (July), Cork City Library (August).
We have applied for charitable status.
We are a completely voluntary project. All of our team and sub-teams work in a completely voluntary capacity and do not receive expenses. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to help in any way, or if you have any questions for us in regard to the museum.