Please bear with us as we are in the process of updating our website!
Who we are
Pat Donlon: Chairperson
Majella McAllister: Founder and Strategic Lead.
Seamus Lynam: Operations / Local Histories and Diaspora.
Dr Fiona Donson (UCC): Children’s Rights Team Lead.
Drs. Richard McEligott (UCD), Sarah-Anne Buckley (NUI Galway): History Team Leads.
Roger Barry: Business Liaison.
Peter Wood: Technology / Social Media / Website.
Tony O’Brien: Communications.
Fiona Hickey: Project Management.
Dr Marnie Hay: Honorary Member of the Board.
The Museum of Childhood Project Ireland aims to establish a museum that will promote the widest understanding of our distinctive culture, history, stories and place in the world, from the perspective of childhood and growing up on the island of Ireland, and amongst the diaspora.
As the foremost institution of its kind in Ireland, we aim:
- To collect, preserve, promote and exhibit Ireland’s portable material heritage and history from a childhood perspective
- To interpret, promote, form, and borrow collections and to make them accessible to audiences at home and abroad
- To be an authoritative voice on Irish childhood heritage, culture and history; past to present
- To showcase research on the themes of childhood by our team of historians
- To showcase research on Children’s Rights in an Irish and international context by our dedicated Rights team
- To be a leader in education, research, scholarship and to collaborate and build academic partnerships , in regard to childhood history on the island of Ireland and abroad
Do look out for our ongoing displays at Bank of Ireland Dún Laoghaire.
The first of our exhibitions in the series on Children in War, Dr Korczak, Champion of the Child, is traveling around Ireland, Summer 2018. (Lexicon Dún Laoghaire (April), Galway City Library (May), Derry Central Library (June), Belfast Central Library (July), Cork City Library (August))
We have applied for Charitable Status.
We are a completely voluntary project. All our team and sub-teams work in a completely voluntary capacity and do not receive expenses. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to help in any way, or if you have any questions for us in regard to the museum.