JJ A Day in My Life – Senan

By Senan

I woke in the morning to the sound of pigeons cooing in the morning sun, I was still tired as I had GAA training the night before but I had to get up because if I didn’t I would be late for school. I pulled my cover of me and dragged myself out of bed reluctantly. I checked my watch it was 7:36 so I actually had plenty of time and I wasn’t going to be late.

I opened my wardrobe and pulled out my favourite hoodie and my favourite tracksuit and I put them on I started to go downstairs but then I realised that I had forgot a pair of socks so I walked back up the stairs to find a pair of socks. I opened my wardrobe again and then realised that I didn’t have any socks and that they were all in the wash so I snuck down the stairs and crept into my younger brother’s room to take a pair of socks. He was already dressed and downstairs so he didn’t see me taking the socks. I put them on and went downstairs.

I felt kind of hungry so I was thinking about breakfast as I went down the stairs into the hall I walked over to the press and took a bowl and the box of Weetabix. I struggled to take the 2 Weetabix I wanted out of the white packet they came in but I eventually got them out and placed them in the bowl. I then walked over to the fridge and grabbed the milk. Once I had got a spoon and had got over to the counter I sat down and started to eat.

Once I had finished I went back upstairs to brush my teeth and wash my face I put the toothpaste on brush and well started to brush for the next 2 minutes. When I had finished I walked downstairs and put my shoes on and left the house. It was kind of cold outside and I was glad I had grabbed a jacket on the way out. I checked my watch again it was 8:13, I had another 17 minutes before the gates of the school even opened so I definitely was not going to be late for school I walked down my road and out of my estate on to the main road. There was a traffic jam on the road but I was walking so that really wasn’t a problem. I came to a traffic light and it was red so I hit the button and waited for it to go green. It didn’t take that long for it to go green and I walked across the road. I walked along a really narrow road for 5 or so minutes I took a sharp right and went down a little shortcut lane. Once I had got around the corner from the lane I breathed a sigh of relief because the lane was kind of sketchy.

“This story describes a normal morning really well. I particularly liked the line about the “pigeons cooing in the morning sun” and the “sketchy” lane!”

— Dr Richard Barlow, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore