From the museum’s collection, Cow and Gate advertisement sign and baby formula milk tin.
Cow and Gate was the most popular dried powder milk for infants used in 20th century Ireland. The manufacturers established factories in Cork and Wexford.
the Gates brothers, from Surrey, England established a creamery in Kildorrery in 1887.
In 1947 the manufacturing operation switched to Mallow, Cork and from there, Cow and Gate milk products were exported across the world.
Due to the increase in demand for formula milk, a programme of expansion was undertaken, which saw the company investing in a new plant in Wexford in the 1970s.
Ireland’s complicated relationship with infant formula